Topsy Turvey


Written by and copyrighted entirely and solely to C.L.S. Copyright (c) 1997
Crystal would like to hear any comments you have in regard to her story. Please
contact her at Roadrunner@coastnet.com

His clothes were brighter than any I’d ever seen, a yellow shawl with bells, purple shirt, striped blue and yellow pants and a big blue hat complete with feather. For a second I just stared.
“Jessie,” Esmeralda introduced, “this is Clopin. Clopin,” She turned to him. “this
is Jessie.”
Niceties over she stood up to leave. Suddenly wary of being alone with a stranger I glanced up at her. She must have noticed my fear.
“Clopin is the most trusted of all of us.”
She told me.
“Don’t worry.”
Then she left. I was alone with this strange but pleasantly happy man.
“Pleased to meet you.”
He announced, sweeping an exaggerated bow.
I wasn’t sure how to take this person.
“As you know I am Clopin. Gypsy King, performer,
acrobat-”
“Gypsy king?!” I exclaimed, startled.
“The gypsy king!”
He made another bow.
“At your service.”
I stared open mouthed. Him the gypsy king? I hope he doesn’t-no, he couldn’t. I pushed the thought from my mind.
“I can see my dazzling splendor has
left you speechless. Perhaps I can assist.”
With that he bouncily sat down in front of me.
“Let us start with you telling me how you got into the shape you're in.”
He motioned towards my arm. It took me a second to regain my composure.
Then I began, “Well, I ran into two soldiers in the market today. They asked me where I had stolen my bow. I told them I hadn’t stolen it, that it was mine. Then they asked what I would need a bow for, I didn’t answer and they said they would beat an answer out of me, so I told him it was to hunt with. Then I pulled a knife and said-”
At this point Clopin interrupted looking rather amazed.
“You remember exactly what they said!”
He exclaimed, I shrugged wonderingly.
“It was only this morning.”
“I can not remember exactly what I said two minutes ago.”
He told me then laughed, “Your memory is remarkable.”
I smiled slightly, not at his words but his accent. Overtime he talked it sounded a bit different. Familiar but not pin-pointable. It was glorious to listen to.
“Please, continue.”
He swept an arm in gesture. I took a deep breath and went on, “'I use this knife but it’s much better for other things.’ Then he asked how I dare threaten him, and he grabbed my knife.’
Not wanting Clopin to think me incompetent in
a fight I explained a bit, “My back was to a wall so I couldn’t jerk away.”
He nodded andI continued my narration.
“He kicked me in the leg and stomach then got my knife and sliced my arm. I pulled a dagger and in his surprise dashed away. I hid in an alley and that’s where Minchy found me.”
I finished up quickly, suddenly very tired. Clopin watched my face intently throughout the whole thing.
When I finished he smiled, “It’s lucky Minchy found you or you’d still be lying there. She tells me she recognized your gypsy heritage by the necklace you wear.”
Almost too airily he asked, “May I see it?”
My hand flew to my neck.
“No!”
I almost shouted it. Esmeralda might not recognize it but the king of the gypsies certainly would. Then where would I be?
“No,” I said again, “it’s personal.”
I looked down and pretended to be interested in the floor.
“I did not mean to upset you.”
Clopin told me gently. He put a hand on my
shoulder and I looked up.
“It was just curiosity that caused me to ask. That’s all.”
I nodded and felt a little ashamed at my outburst.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be-” suddenly there was loud shouting outside and a boy ran into the tent, panting and out of breath.
“Come quickly Clopin!”
He gasped, “The guards have taken Minchy!”
Clopin’s whole face changed. It hardened and his jaw clenched. Without hesitation he jumped up to follow the boy. Not about to be left behind when I could help, I too stood up. My legs weren’t too sore and my arm didn’t hurt a lot unless I touched or moved it.
“Wait, I’m coming.”
Clopin looked like he wanted to protest but the tone of my voice stopped him.
“Very well. Let’s hurry.”
 

On to Chapter Four Chapter 4-Repaid Debts

Back to Ch 2 Morning In Paris