Repaid Debts


Written and copyrighted entirely and solely to C.L.S. Copyright (c) 1997
Crystal would like to hear any comments you have in regard to her story. Please
contact her at Roadrunner@coastnet.com

Stepping out of the tent I gasped. Where were we? Colorful tents stretched in every direction. People swarmed through them, children ran and laughed.
“This is your first time in the Court Of Miracles?” Clopin asked me, watching my reaction. I just nodded. Court Of Miracles! What a beautiful place! In a daze I was led through the tents and finally to a doorway. We stepped through it and it slammed shut, leaving us in darkness. Clopin lit a torch and we quickly made our way through the darkness. We came out in an empty graveyard, I shuddered and hurried through it to the gate. Luckily it was night so we made our way into town hiding in the shadows.
“They’ve locked her in John Garson the Innkeeper’s cellar until tomorrow morning when they’ll take her to the Palace of Justice.”
The boy told us, Clopin nodded determinedly,
“We’re have to get her out.”
I thought for a second.
“If we can create a diversion than one of us can slip in and get her. We could tell him there’s someone hurt on the street, beaten by gypsies or something.” I suggested.
Clopin’s eyes grew dark then he nodded.
“I’ll go in and free Minchy.” I told him.
“No. It’s too risky. I’ll go.” Clopin intervened.
I shook my head and repeated something my pa always said.
“I never get caught, I’m too quick and careful. Besides,” I continued, “They don’t know me, if I do get caught I can say I want a room for the night.”
There was a moment of silence then he nodded his consent.
“All right. Wait until John’s out of the building until you let her out though.”
Quickly I slipped through the darkness and up the Inn. I came to an open window and slipped inside without making a sound. The room was dark but I had excellent night vision. Pa always told me I could see better than a cat. I glanced about the room and quietly stepped to the door. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I slowly opened it a crack and peeked out. I could feel myself get back into the old routine of sneaking. The door led out into the front room, nobody was in view.
All of a sudden I heard a loud ruckus and yelling from outside. Moments later someone pounded on the door of the Inn.
“Help! Help!”
There was loud footsteps from the back of the Inn and a large man who I took to be John came into view. He opened the door and there stood Clopin. He had a dirty face and what looked like a bloody cut on his left cheek, he wore a loose brown cloak that he had brought from the Court of Miracles and he was yelling and cursing.
“They’ve gone and beaten my boy!” He shouted.
“Who?” Asked John glancing outside warily.
“Those gypsies! The filthy scum!”
At the word gypsies the man tensed.
“I’ve got one of those acursed people locked in my cellar. Always causing trouble, they are.”
He began to get angry. Clopin again began hollering,
“Help me! Please! He’s bleeding and he could die!” John hesitated, then motioned for Clopin to lead the way. I could hear the gypsies wails long after the door closed.
Slipping quietly out of the room I made my way down the hall to the back of the Inn where cellars were usually located. Which one? I thought worriedly, as I came to a row of doors. Very quietly I opened the first one. It was dark but after a second or two I could see the shape of a bed. Nope, not that one. I opened the next one, it was even darker than the last and I could smell cold stale air.
Glancing around cautiously I stepped in and quietly shut the door.
“Minchy?” I whispered harshly.
I heard a scraping sound and a hoarse voice answered, “Over here.”
I made my way carefully towards the sound. In the darkness I could make out the shape of the girl. She was leaning against the wall and one of her legs was in a very awkward position. I knew at once it was broken, a precaution often taken for the escape of prisoners. Cursing silently I went up beside her.
“It’s me, Jes. You found me in the alley, remember.”
I saw her nod.
“I’ve come to get you out of here, o.k.?”
She lifted her hands to reveal iron shackles.
“I’m locked in.” She whispered.
I reached inside the small leather pouch hanging at my waist and pulled out a piece of wire.
“No problem,” I told her quietly, “I used to do this for a living.”
Carefully I inserted the wire into the lock and began twisting.
“What do you mean?” Asked Minchy hesitantly.
I heard a small click and the shackle fell from her wrist.
“I’ll explain later,” I promised.
“Right now we have to go. Quickly.”
I helped her up and she tried to stand. It was no use, her leg was broken.
“Lean on me.” I told her.
“I’m too heavy.” She protested, shifting her weight slightly.
I wrapped an arm around her waist and supported her up the stairs. It took us too long, we’d never make it to the door if this was as fast as we could travel.
Suddenly the door swung open flooding the room with light.
“Where do you think your going, gypsie filth!!?” Hollered John Garson, his face purple with rage.

To be continued............

On to Chapter 5 Gypsy Luck
Back to Chapter Three Topsy Turvey-Ch 3