Morning In Paris


Written by Crystal and copyrighted entirely and solely to C.L.S. Copyright (c) 1997
Crystal would like to hear any comments you have in regard to her story. Please contact her at Roadrunner@coastnet.com

Someone was talking, it sounded smothered and far away. I tried to open my eyes and sit up but it made my stomach wrench and dizziness overtook my thoughts.
“No. Don’t try to sit up, rest now.”
A kind voice made it’s way through my pain, I tried to speak but my mouth wasn’t working properly and no sound came out. I felt something touch my head and I winced because of the headache pounding through my mind. I moaned and tried to roll over, pain shot through my arm like fire causing me to finally be able to open my eyes. The colors swirled together and rolled around. I raised an arm to rub my eyes. Something touched my shoulder and impulsively I reached for my knife. My hand found nothing and I suddenly remembered what had happened to it and to me.

But where was I now? Fear made me look around. I was on the floor of a dimly lit room, the only source of light was coming from under a door. Wait a sec! That wasn’t a door, just a piece of green cloth hanging from- where was I? This wasn’t a room, it was a tent! Looking harder I could make out a purple and orange stripped pattern on it. Confused I tried to stand up, a firm hand on my shoulder kept me down.

“If you try to stand you’ll just fall down.” A steady voice told me sternly.
Startled I glanced to my left and into the face of a brown skinned woman. Her long black hair fell over her shoulders, her green eyes watched me curiously. She wore a bright purple skirt and white blouse. Sitting beside her in my worn brown shirt, black breeches and short black tangled hair I felt ashamed and awkward.

“Who are you? What am doing here? How did I get here?!” I spilled out my questions one after another, she smiled slightly and stood up.
“My name is Esmeralda. As for you getting here, you're lucky Minchy saw you lying in the alley or you’d still be there.”
I opened my mouth and then shut it. Thousands of questions rushed through my mind but the first one that I could spit out was, “My bow? My pack?”
She walked across the room (tent?) and picked something up. When she came back beside me I could see it was the items in question.
“Thank you.” I said quietly as I inspected them. No damage as far as I could see.
Looking up at her I asked, “Where am I?”
“You're somewhere very safe, for gypsies.” She replied.
I started at the word “gypsies”.
“How did you know?” I asked.
She paused. “Minchy saw the necklace you wear.”
My hand went to my throat and clutched the string. Suddenly frightened I tried to back away, but pain shot through my leg and arm making movement impossible. A small moan escaped my lips and I grasped my wounded arm. Esmeralda quickly stepped over to me, scared I raised an arm to block the blow I knew was coming. A second passed, then another. Slowly and uncertainly I lowered my arm. Esmeralda was looking at me with a strange expression.
“Please,” I began softly, “I didn’t have anything to do with it. Really, it was my mother’s, she gave it to me before she-”
Esmeralda’s expression suddenly changed to concern.
“It’s o.k. No one here is going to hurt you.” She spoke reassuringly, “Minchy told your necklace was made from gypsy gold. That’s how she recognized it, nothing’s wrong with that.”
For a minute what she said didn’t register. Gypsy gold? I knew that was what outsiders called bronze, something no one wore except gypsies. What did she mean by-...she didn’t know. The knowledge of this made me shake from relief. She didn’t know! Neither did Minchy, obviously. I was safe, for now.
“You're safe here.” She told me, I nodded.
“I’m sorry.” I said looking down. “I’ve had some trouble lately and I’m afraid I’ve grown over cautious.” She nodded and looked relieved.
I let my hands drop into my lap.

“What’s your name?” She asked curiously. For a second I hesitated. Then I let my doubts fall away. She had given me back my bow, obviously she trusted me. Maybe it was time I did the same.
“Jessie. Though they used to call me Sovereign Brigand back home.”
The last part slipped out naturally, I hadn’t planned to say it and I wished I hadn’t. Esmeralda looked startled then smiled widely. Realizing it was o.k. I smiled back.

“I’m not a thief anymore.” I told her firmly. “Not since pa was hu-”
Tears smarted my eyes at the memory and I broke off. She patted my shoulder.
“It’s o.k. now. Don’t worry.” I tried to smile but it was no use. Hanging my head I sighed.
“I don’t mean to interrupt this happy gathering but I believe it’s my turn to talk with our guest.”
Startled by the sound of a new voice, especially such a voice as this one I glanced up quickly.
There stood the strangest man I’ve ever seen.

The End of Chapter Two
 

On to Chapter 3 Chapter 3-Topsy Turvey

Back to Chapter One One Fine Day In Paris