Gone But Never Forgotten


Written and copyrighted entirely and solely to C.L.S.Copyright (c) 1997
Crystal would like to hear any comments you have in regard to her story. Please contact her at Roadrunner@coastnet.com

“How’s she doing?” I asked the lady coming out of Minchy’s tent. Smiling at me she nodded, “Much better, thanks to you. Minchy’s been telling me how you saved her life.” I blushed slightly at her praise. “An eye for an eye.” I told her solemnly. “She saved my life before I even knew who she was.” I stepped inside the tent and went over to where Minchy lay on the bed. She was propped up with numerous pillows. When she saw me she grinned.
“You wouldn’t believe the service around here.” She told me laughing. “They act as if I’m dying or something.”
I chuckled. “People who care tend to do that.” I sat beside her on a small stool. “It’s the one time you can take advantage of them.” She smiled and blushed. “Not that you’d do that.” I said playfully. “At least not intentionally.”
Minchy shook her head with an innocent look. “Me?” She questioned, feigning insult. I laughed and she joined in. There was a silence as we each thought our own thoughts. Suddenly she broke it. “What did you mean back in the cellar when you said you did that for a living.” She questioned curiously. I blinked, then sighed softly. I had hoped she would have forgotten about that. She glanced at me worriedly. “If you’d rather not talk about it" “No.” I interrupted her, “It’s o.k.” I rubbed my knee and licked my lips. “My father was an outlaw.” I began. “He killed a soldier in self defense.” My voice grew hard and I played with the necklace I wore. “It was self defense.” I repeated firmly glancing at her for any sign of doubt. “Nothing would have come of it if he hadn’t been a gypsy. Instead he was hunted and a price was put on his head.” I paused, “We could never stay in any place for too long. It was just my parents and I at that time. My older brother had gone off to seek his fortune.” I laughed sourly. “Ran away,” Then I sighed, “can’t blame him though.” Swallowing I stood up and turned away from her so she couldn’t see my face.

“He was thief, there’s no two ways about it. He stole and looted. He didn’t just turn into a thief overnight though. Always, always had he been one. Right from the day he was born. When I turned six he began to teach me his trade. My mother argued with him about it, tried to make him see that no good could come of it.” My voice cracked and I swallowed hard, “That’s why she left. She didn’t want to but she couldn’t bear to see me hung,” Pausing I turned around, “Or worse become heartless and cruel, a cutthroat with no mercy, like my father.”

Suddenly I glanced at her, “But he wasn’t. Not really. He loved me, loved me so much he taught me to survive the only way he knew how.” Sitting down I sighed, “It was mankind he hated, it was mankind he saw fit only to swindle and steal from.” I shook my head sadly. “I learned to hate mankind, I hated them for what they did to my father, I hated them for their unjustness and most of all for making me an outcast.”

I raised my head proudly. “I was as good a thief as he was, could rob a person blind and never get caught.” Pausing I stood again. It was a minute before I could speak, and when I did it was in a hoarse whisper. “In the end they killed him, ambushed us in the street. He could have gotten away.” I kicked the stool angrily, “He could have saved himself!” Tears blotted my vision, “It was my fault, he saved my life instead of his own.” I stepped to the door, “After they hung him I vowed not to steal again. It had brought my family only grief, in that way he saved my life twice.” The last word I spoke so softly I wasn’t sure she even heard me. Blinking rapidly I stepped from her tent, not noticing the tall and brightly dressed figure standing outside it half hidden by shadows. Swiftly I made my way to a dark corner where I sat for a long time.

A child running frantically through the streets, ignored. Never looking back, never stopping for fear that they’ll catch her. Finally falling to the ground exhausted on the side of the street. Tears streaming down her face as she battles with her fright, unable to help, unable to go back. “Father!” She cries out. There is no answer.

End of Chapter Six

On to Chapter 7 Don't Be So Certain

Back to Chapter 5 Gypsy Luck