Don't Be So Certain


Written and copyrighted entirely and solely to C.L.S.Copyright (c) 1997
Crystal would like to hear any comments you have in regard to her story.
Please contact her at Roadrunner@coastnet.com

“Where can I get a knife?” I asked Clopin later that morning. He looked startled for a second and then smiled.
“I happen to know someone.” With that he led me through the tents to a large green one. “Shobek! You in there?” He called. A big hand pulled the front flap open to reveal a short stocky man with a stubby black beard.
“Clopin!” He exclaimed happily. “What can I do for you.”
Clopin pointed to me and I hesitantly stepped forward. “I need a knife.”
He frowned then scratched his beard. Warily he turned his gaze to Clopin as if to seek assurance. Clopin nodded. “Hmm. Very well. Step inside.” He motioned for us to enter and I found myself inside a brightly lit room. He fiddled around with something at the back of the tent and then came back to where we were standing just inside the doorway. Without a word he lifted his hand to reveal a sharp silver blade at least four inches long. Turning it he held it in his palm. The handle was polished wood and looked comfortable to hold.

Gingerly I reached out to take it, he smiled as I held it and expertly slid my finger up the blade.
“This is not your first knife.”
It was a statement not a question. I nodded, my attention on the beautifully carved weapon. “How much?” I asked, hoping it was a low price as I was rather short of money at the moment.
He thought for a second. “For a friend of Clopin,” He paused and I worriedly glanced up, “free.”
For a second I didn’t understand. “Free?”
Nodding satisfactory he turned to Clopin. “Any friend of yours is a friend of mine.” Clopin grinned approvingly.

“Thank you.” I burst out. He smiled and half bowed. Then Clopin and I exited the tent and I turned to him. “I hope it wasn’t rude of me not to pay him.” I conceded thoughtfully. Perhaps I should have insisted on payment.
“No. In fact he would have been insulted if you had. Gifts are not taken lightly in the Court of Miracles.” I stuck the knife in to my belt and immediately felt better. My bow was strapped to my back and my arrows were in my pack. Sometime I needed to get a dagger to replace my lost one but for now I felt safe. “Thank you for all your help Clopin.” I told him gratefully. “Can you thank Esmeralda and Minchy for me as well?” I asked.
“Leaving?” Questioned Clopin with a curious tilt of his head. “So soon?”
I swallowed a lump that was forming in my throat. I really had been happy here, even with all the people there were. “It’s time for me to go home.” I told him, trying to sound sure of myself. I wasn’t sure whether home would be the same after this adventure.
Clopin drew his eyebrows together, “Where will you go?” He asked with gentle concern.
I almost shrugged but decided it wouldn’t help. “Back to the forest.” I answered without feeling. Somehow it didn’t seem as inviting as before.
“Are you sure that’s where you want to go?”
Well, I thought sullenly, it’s not like I have much of a choice. If I stay it’s only a matter of time before someone finds out who I am and then I’m in trouble. But aloud all I did was nod slowly.
“Very well.” He said with a small shake of his head. “Though I must admit you do liven this place up a bit. What with your fights and rescues.”
I half laughed, the other half wanted to tell him I would stay but unfortunately it lost. With a thin smile I turned and slowly made my way to the exit. With a quick glance over my shoulder I closed the door behind me and was engulfed into darkness. But that quick glance was all I needed to see Clopin and Esmerelda watching me with an expression I couldn’t read. My father’s words rang through my head, though I thought they were long forgotten, they had written themselves into my mind and heart.

“You can’t trust anybody. You can’t stay in any place for to long. That’s the way you get caught and then your done for.”

The market place was bustling with people. Everyone was shouting and laughing. People were rushing to and fro with tremendous speed. I almost felt dizzy as I stood watching the excitement. “Do you have any sweet rolls?” I heard a deep voice asked nearby. The baker he was talking to replied apologetically.
“No. John Garson bought he last of them just half an hour ago.”
“The Inn keeper? I heard he had some trouble last night.”
“Yeah, some gypsies escaped from his cellar where he was holding them for Judge Claude Frollo.”
“Tricky devils, those gypsies. It’s a blessing they didn’t rob him blind.”
Biting my lip to keep from shouting at the two ignorant men I quickly made my way into the crowd to see about buying some food. Though the conversation annoyed me it also gave me important information. John Garson was in this crowd, which ment I must be careful not to be seen. I paid for rice, potatoes and bread. then began making my way towards the entrance and exit to the marketplace.

Someone was following me. I could tell after two blocks. They weren’t very good at it, kept peeking from behind buildings and being obvious. Once when I bent down to “pull a stone from the bottom of my boot” I saw the glint of a sword. Soldiers! Probably hoping I’ll lead them to the Court of Miracles. They don’t know I’m not going back there, ever.

I’ll have to lose them before I head home. I thought tiredly. Suddenly I had had enough adventures to last me for a while. I weaved in and out of streets, nearly getting lost a bunch of times. (This was only my third visit to Paris.) But still they followed. I was about to duck into an alley when I saw a familiar person in front of me.

“Clopin!?” I exclaimed, not too loud but loud enough to show my surprise. “What on earth...?”
He grinned at my expression. “Didn’t expect me so soon?” He said innocently. “You forget, I am a master of surprises.” With a bow he held out his hand palm down. On it I saw my dagger. “Minchy sent me with this. She says to tell you she found it in the alley beside you but forgot to give it to Esmeralda to give to you. So now she gave it to me so I could give it to you.” He paused and raised an eyebrow, “Perhaps I should repeat that, it sounds an awful like a tongue twister or riddle.”
I almost laughed, then I remembered the men following me and began to worry. “Clopin.” I began, hushing my voice a little but taking the dagger and returning it to it’s rightful place in my boot. “There are soldiers following me. You have to go.”
He paled, then stood up straight. “They could arrest you, you know.” He told me seriously. “You helped a gypsy escape. Not to mention you are a gypsy. Both of these reasons are good enough to warrant being hung.” I nodded solemnly.
“Get out of here then. They won’t follow you.” He bit his lip in indecision. Unfortunately the soldiers made up his mind for him. “Stop! Gypsy!” They yelled as they dashed from behind a building and ran towards me, swords raised high.

End of Chapter seven.
 

On to Ch8 Getting The Ball Rolling

Back to Chapter 6 Gone But Never Forgotten