Frollo's Bloodline

Written by and copyrighted solely to Shannon ©1997


Chapter One

Rain fell on the city of Paris. Gypsies loved the rain because they could exit the Court of Miracles freely since there were less guards when it rained. Esmeralda was not dancing as she should have been. Shecouldn't dance because the stone walkway was too slippery for dancing because she had no shoes. "What a day. Rain and wind. An awful combination." Esmeralda, unlike most other people of her kind, did not enjoy rain. So she climbed on her horse (now I know your thinking: Where's Djali? Well, he hates rain, so he stayed at home) and rode through the city. As she turned a bend she passed the home of Judge Claude Frollo. As she rode past ,making sure that there were no guards around as she went, she heard something so odd. It rose above the sound of the rain and of the other gypsies.

"What is it?" Esmeralda wondered.

"It's too sweet to be a bird. It all most sounds like someone singing....But is it??" Esmeralda turned around and rode off to find Clopin. Clopin, as King of the Gypsies, would know what it was. As the horses hoof beats faded, The top window of the house opened and a girl with soft brown hair came out. This was Frollo's Daughter. Not one of the gypsies knew that the judge had a young girl but then again she wasn't allowed outside. The girl went back inside and returned to whatever she was doing. In the mean whileEsmeralda had returned to the Court of Miracles When a man clothed in purple and as thin and tall as a skeleton stepped out to meet her. "Clopin!" It was Clopin, King of the Gypsies. " Where have you been? I-"

But Clopin cut her off. "Where have I been? Where have You been! We thought you had been captured! We were at our wits end! Now where in the name of the gypsies were you?" He finally gave Esmeralda the chance to explain.

"Oh, I'm sorry I kept everyone waiting." apologized the flustered gypsy "But I heard the most remarkable sound! It was clear and sweet and I thought you should hear it."

"Oh really. Where did you hear it?"

"Up by Frollo's house, on th-"

Here the King interrupted her again: "By Frollo's! Are you mad?"

"No really! There are no guards. Please come. Please?" Begged Esmeralda.

Clopin gave in "Oh fine. Let me get my horse."

Soon the two were riding to the spot that Esmeralda had heard the noise. But they heard it a lot closer than Esmeralda did. Now the singer had grown louder.

Clopin was absolutely struck dumb! "Oh My Lord..." He said under his breath. "That is the most amazing sound I have ever heard! But who is it? Frollo is the only one in that house! And I Know that's not him."

Well Esmeralda was no help ether and as they stood there wondering they suddenly heard the singer stop.Then the window flew open!

"Run!" Yelled Clopin.

"Wait! Wait! Don't Go!" yelled another voice. But this voice was clear as the bells in the Notre Dame Cathedral. It was not Frollo. Clopin turned and stared at the window. A girls head popped out and then she saw who it was.

"Gypsies! Oh Please stay there. I promise that father won't come after you."

"Father?" Said the two together. Then the girl went back in and soon the side door opened.

"Let me come with you. Please I dread father, and I think you are ever so much nicer than he says gypsies are, and- I know you two. Well not by name but" She turned to Esmeralda: "Your the dancer. The best I've ever seen." Then to Clopin: "And you are the story-teller!"

"And you are amazingly beautiful." Breathed Clopin. And indeed she was.

She had pale skin and brown hair. Her hazel eyes opened wide when she heard him say that. Then Clopin blushed and Esmeralda rolled her eyes. "You can't go to the place where Gypsies live-Just yet, but you can stay in the Cathedral with my friend. I'm sure you know about him."

"Yes , Yes. I've met him."

So the two led the girl to Quasimodo's home. As she said hello to Quasi and bid good-bye to her friends, she lifted one hand to her face to brush away the rain. As she did. "What's that?" asked Esmerelda.

"Whats What?"

"That on your hand."

The girl looked down and hid her hand away. But not so quick as to hide it from Clopin

"Can't keep secrets from the gypsy king" He muttered as he grasped her hand, forcing her to open it. Across her palm were three long gashes. Quasimodo gasped, and Clopin face took on a look that scared the young girl. "Did Frollo Harm you like this?" he asked her. But she would not tell anyone.

To be continued.....

On to Chapter 2